In spite of the fact that people cannot do without broadband connectivity today, its technology can be rather intimidating especially when you cannot differentiate between the megabytes you are offered and your download limits. In addition to selecting the package you think is best for you, you also have to have the right hardware for a broadband connection.
As you know, the term hardware is the touchable parts of the computer like its keyboard, monitor, CPU, etc. With the advent of broadband other hardware objects also have to be used. Some of them are the modems and routers and you should get to know what they are and how they can be selected. For this you should also be aware of how modems and routers function.
Modem and its Functions
For access to the Internet you must necessarily have a modem. Modem is the short form of the terms “modulator-demodulator”. The modem works like this: it modulates a signal carrier to program digital data and demodulates the same signals to decipher that data. The new generation wireless modems of today translate digital information into radio signals and vice-versa.
Modems were first introduced around the early 60s. They were used for workstations to be linked to computers through telephone lines. It was the bulletin board systems that made the modems popular in the 70s. Bulletin board systems or BBS was when a person had a computer with either one or a few modems and people who wanted could dial in through phone lines to gain access to the board. In fact this was a condition necessary in the case of instant messaging.
Initially the speed of modems were only 300bps and it was only in 1983 that modems with 1200bps speed were launched. By and by modems with faster speeds started coming in the course of the next twenty years and it was finally in 1998 that saw the advent of the 56kbps modem that set the standard. Till then modems had to depend on what was known as frequency shift keying so as to pass data via a phone line, but with the introduction of the 56kbps modems new methods and designs like phase-shift keying were utilized to pack in the bandwidth of a telephone connection with as much data as possible. Nevertheless that still had their limits with the 56Kbps modems. This was when in 1999 the newer ADSL modems came into being that were supposed to have up to 8Mb speeds.
Things that you will need for Wireless Connectivity
Other than an adaptor and a wire-free router there are other hardware items that you will need so as to really exploit your wireless connectivity. Before you get a wire-free router take into consideration the installation process, find out if the router has a built-in ADSL modem and also if this will be compatible with your mobile device and also know its distance range. If you already have an adaptor in the laptop you own is another adaptor absolutely necessary? See if you require a USB adaptor or whether there is a slot to insert a card. You also need to see if the adaptor can be used with the wireless router.
Some of the companies manufacturing wireless routers and adaptors are Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys, and Buffalo. Usually these companies sell a “wireless kit” that includes the wireless router and all other trimmings that are required to ensure your wireless connectivity. In case they are not provided as a kit you will probably have to purchase them separately. Some of the accessories are connectors and Ethernet cables that are available in different types depending on their speeds. Ensure that the connectors are compatible with the machine you plan to connect the router to.
You will also require fibre cable that will ascertain the performance and consistency of the servers and storing facilities. The USB cables are what are needed to link the USB to the computer or a hub. Audio video cables are also necessary. Sometimes just ordinary cables can interfere with the quality, so ensure that you avail of PureAV cables provided by Belkin. These cables are more accurate. You will also require video kits that include video cables for clearer pictures, speaker cables and handy sound systems which lessen outside noises.
Bear in mind that if you want an excellent connection the strength of the signals are paramount, so in case the antenna for the wireless router is not to required standards replace it with a better and more effective one. In addition if you feel that you require signals to a particular area get yourself a directional antenna. Antennas that are unidirectional are best for mobile devices that you may carry from room to room and place to place, but remember these antennas are more open to security lapses.
Other Broadband Trimmings
- Bluetooth products help you get connected with other mobile devices with Bluetooth in them and it also allows you freedom of movement because you are not tethered to one place by wires.
- Broadband phones will help lower cost of calls via the Internet.
- If your laptop does not have built-in microphone, get one so that you can talk to people using the same.
- Security gateways are imperative because these are what safeguard your broadband connectivity from outside interference and hackers. You must have an appropriate security like a firewall because being online can be a constant cause for worry with virus, spyware and malware. Cisco is known for their firewall security.
- Skype is one among the authentic VoIP phones. If you have a VoIP router calls that you make to people anywhere in the world via the high speed broadband are so much cheaper. These routers function by altering your calls into information that speedily passes via your connection and gets to receiver’s end like a regular phone call. You hardly know the difference. The result however is that you can make overseas calls are reduced rates and you also get other facilities like call waiting, three-way calling, voicemail and the like. In Britain Vonage and Skype are the most preferred VoIP services.
- Webcams are what are used if you want people you are either chatting with or talking to over VoIP phones to see you. Today IM services for which webcams are most popularly used offer this video calling facility.